Monday 4 March 2013

Jo Malone: Sugar and Spice Launch

On Friday I was kindly invited to the Jo Malone Sugar and Spice Launch. An afternoon of sampling the new limited edition fragrance collection, papering at the tasting bar, sipping Champagne and indulging in Macaroons how was I to resist? Accompanying me was one of my closest friends Polly, who had no idea about attending until I told her over lunch before the launch. 


On arriving at the Brighton boutique we were greeted with glasses of bubbles and plates of Macaroons, created by Julien Plumart to accompany the scents of the Sugar and Spice collection. You can imagine the excitement of two girls at two thirty in the afternoon. 

:


We were left to admire our surroundings of the candy colored afternoon tea inspired merchandising of the collection, before being whisked of to the tasting bar. 








Taking up our stools for more bubbles and Macaroons before being enlighten into the creation and inspiration behind the colognes. A French Master in Perfumery Christine Nagel, who spent years sampling the finest of deserts to select just five to transform into a cologne, bringing taste and texture through smell. 




We were introduced to each cologne in a very particular and strategic order which allowed us to savor the depths and fullness of each cologne. 


Firstly we were introduced to Lemon Tart, a tang of sparkling citrus fruits and verbena, contrasted with swirls of meringue and lemon thyme. This initially blew us away, you could almost taste the smell of that zesty tang you get when tucking into a fresh lemon tart. However this was nothing compared to what we were about to discover. 

Next we were to sample Redcurrant and Cream. This was heavenly, The sharp juices of blackcurrants  strawberries and raspberry's rippling through a creamy musk. For a second I forgot it was dull, grey and cold outside and instead was lost on a summers evening tucking into a summer fruits pudding. I now favored this over the Lemon Tart, it was more wearable and i'm such a summer girl.

This was quickly replaced by Elderflower and Gooseberry the most earthly and fresh out of the collection. Oozing with summer green juices from the gooseberries and lychees. So tender and feminine. This was nothing compared to what was to come with the final two colognes. However this was my favorite from the collection as I was unable to taste the smell as for me I couldn't wear something I could taste. 

I love Ginger and though ally enjoy baking a good ginger bread man and ginger biscuit. This presented something that I have never experienced before through the sense of smell alone. It smelt like my kitchen after opening the oven doors to a tray of freshly cooked biscuits as the smell of the melting caramel wafted through the ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon you could taste the buttery, crumbly texture with roasted hazelnuts, warmed by tonka beans and vanilla. 
It was hard to believe that I wasn't stood in my kitchen at home baking and that actually I was sniffing a small piece of card. The way this plays with your senses in incredible and finding something that does the same is going to be hard if not impossible. 

Finally we were presented with Bitter Orange and Chocolate, the strongest sent of them all which smelt the most edible out of them all. This was like having a Terry's Chocolate orange put under your nose dusted in dark chocolate coco power. The scent was incredible however for me to edible and not something I would wear. 


With our senses going crazy we slipped off our jewelry, rolled up our sleeves and indulged our hands and arms in the new colognes. 



Our hands and arms were massaged with our everyday moisturiser, Polly's being English Pear and Freesia and myself Blackberry and Bay. Our massages were finished off with a combination of Elderflower and Gooseberry and Ginger Biscuit. 


After our glasses had been topped up and every flavor of Macaroon sampled we left the boutique feeling truly pampered and relaxed, smelling divine and clutching our purchases ready for summer to finally surface.



Thank you to the Brighton Boutique for such a lovely event. 

The Sugar and Spice collection is available now in the boutiques or online at Jo Malone. But remember its limited edition and some have sold out online already. 

Julien Plumart is a French tea lounge serving traditional French cakes, pastries and Macaroon’s tucked in the Dukes Lanes in Brighton. Having opened just several weeks ago they have already well established them selves and serve some of the most amazing pastries and sandwiches I have ever tasted. Not to mention the most amazing and varied flavored Macaroons. I am a huge fan already and have made myself a regular. 



1 comment:

  1. I love Jo Malone, I wish they had one in Southampton, I visit every time I'm n London!

    ReplyDelete